This is how I mastered my left brain thinking. Left brain thinking, according to our discussion, is more of processing information according to logic, sequence, symbols and reality. This is practiced when we manage knowledge in a more quantifiable and rigid sense. And, through the years, this part of my brain, I think, is more processed compared to the other part (the right part).
Upon knowing these facts, I now understand why I am more organized. I have a hard time working in a messy place. Some even called me an 'O.C.' person. I even thought that I have a psychological disorder (although 'O.C.' really is a disorder). Good thing, our discussion enlightened me that my routines are still normal to a person type.
It also helped me categorize myself when our discussion about the brain even focused into a smaller part of it. I realized that most of my activities are accorded by the left lower limbic part of the brain (whew, this may sound very technical). People who are accorded more by this part of the brain are called the 'Organizers' according to Hermann's Whole Brain Model (1976). When we were asked to take a part of the exam that determines in which part of the whole model one's belonging, it really turned out that I am a left brain thinker. And, that may explain it all (not totally, since we only took a very small portion of the test).
However, I am not that happy to prove that I am really that kind of thinker (even a vertical and convergent thinker one). Most of the time, in my almost twenty-four year in this earth, I always pray that I should be more of a right brain thinker (if only I was aware of this concept when I was younger). It is not that I am not satisfied with what is destined or given to me, it is just that I would be happier if I would be more creative than with what I am now.
For instance, in most of my experiences, I tend to give up easily because I can only think of fewer options in solving my problems (like of how a convergent thinker processes problems). And, I think, this can be blamed to my being less creative. And now, I thank I taken this subject. At first, I thought I can solely rely on logic to solve problems. Upon knowing that we all have that creative juices with us, and we only need to hone it, I eventually began to think otherwise.
With this, I am thinking of enhancing my ability to process creativity. I should practice shifting my mind set for me to be able to see easily on more options to solve my problems.
Since I am in the first part of that process, can you suggest on how I can easily undertake this personal challenge? Thank you in advance. :)
this is a cute and honest blog :) my papa used to make a "pre-exam" for us siblings as reviewer for our real exam. i had a tutor from prep to grade five (i think) and my mama, being a teacher also, would read to me my lesson before going to sleep (no bed time fairy tale stories). but i don't know why i grew up as "messy" as i am haha :) never the "logic" person or anything vertical. i think there's a lot things to do to practice creativity - perhaps you could start with at least try doing your daily routines in another way. our readings on thinking style (4 quadrant of brains) listed for each thinking style, suggestions on how to develop that quadrant. you can check it for more ideas :) - r mosquera :)
TumugonBurahinYou are lucky to have developed a study habit. I never had that! I am in constant struggle with procrastination that's why i always end up being so stressed out when I have exams or projects. haha! I envy people who have the focus and patience to read and study for hours. People who know how to spend their time well. But I'm slowly learning. I wanna be productive and creative everyday too. And that's what I appreciate about the left brain function. Being sequential helps you get things done and it saves you a whole lot of (sleeping) trouble. :D
TumugonBurahinWhy don't you try free writing? Write anything that comes to your mind for five minutes without lifting your pen. Like completely random thoughts. Don't even stop to think. Or try drawing objects that don't exist. Objects that exist only in your imagination. Maybe a creature called a crocophant (crocodile+elephant)? Haha! And do crazy stuff sometimes even if your left brain tells you it's stupid. Just don't do anything illegal. :)
Hi Claudine, you have a point, however, we should always be open to changes. But I think what’s important is to listen to your intuition. Yes we discuss these things (part of brain thinking) to realize new things for ourselves but not all the time we should believe easily. There are situations that we should stick with what we believe in order to be consistent in what we do for as long that you are satisfied with that. Yes there are always better options but it’s up to you. Remember our discussion last semester in Change Management course that change goes under a detailed process, it can’t be achieved overnight. Just like accepting the fact that if you’re a left thinker there is a little part in us that we are right thinkers, it not easy, it takes some time to realize that it really depends on the situation.
TumugonBurahinBut at the end of the day I believe that there are people who are Left thinkers and will be Leftist for the rest of their lives and same goes to the opposite. But if you really know yourself and stick with what your beliefs, well that’s perfectly fine.
When I was younger, my mom will give me chicken essence. She said that I should drink it so that I will become intelligent. You might ask, did it work? The answer is I DON'T KNOW. hahaha! I didn't care if it will make me intelligent because it really tastes awful. Anyway, I believe that being a right or left brainer depends on how we were raised and based on our experiences. You might be a dominant right brainer because your parents are both artist and they always ask you to draw or you might be a dominant left brainer because you were taught that memorizing is important. The good thing is that when we grew older we still have a choice of either honing our left or our right brain.
TumugonBurahinI also like the honesty of this entry. For me, as I stated in my entry, one should not be worried by the part of the brain he/she using. It is just a style of thinking and not the definition of our reactions and things we do. Yes, we need to enhance some parts of the brain but we are more inclined to do the things the we “usually” do. Lastly, this is not a problem. It is just one of the ways science deals with our brain.
TumugonBurahin